Wizard Fu Games
Based in Oakland, California
Songbringer is a 3/4 perspective, pixel art, sci-fi, action RPG with procedurally generated overworlds and dungeons. The game is single player or two player local co-op. Combat in the game is action-packed, including many kinds of weapons such as the nanosword, the boomerang-like top hat, the ghost sword projectile, bombs and the blink orb teleportation / dodge skill. Players enter a six-letter world seed when starting a new adventure. The seed is used to generate the world dynamically and is deterministic. Entering the same seed will always generate the same world. Millions of worlds are possible. Progress in the game is made by discovering new items which enhance the player's abilities and grant access to new areas. Some items can even be combined, for example the fire cube crafted with the tophat becomes a flaming top hat. The player encounters various kinds of enemies, including gigantic bosses. Puzzles keep the gameplay fresh and varied. A deep and immersive narrative underpins the Songbringer universe. The story is told from the perspective of two friends: a human named Roq and a robot named Jib.
With great love for the 8-bit classics, Songbringer began with a few simple live streams and now has a growing community of backers. Songbringer was funded with Kickstarter on May 13th, 2015 and given the Greenlight on Steam April 25th, 2015. Since then the game has had an early press release and multiple alpha releases to Steam. The beta version was released on Steam February 21st, 2016 -- the 20 year anniversary of the release of the original Zelda game -- and has received weekly updates since then. In 2017, Songbringer had showings at GDC, PAX East and E3. The game was launched on Steam, GOG, Xbox One on September 1st, 2017 and Playstation 4 on September 5th, 2017.
- Single-player action RPG
- AI or human-controlled second player
- Local co-operative two player mode
- Full gamepad support, including rumble
- Realtime combat
- 7 kinds of weapons including the nanosword, boomerang-like tophat, bombs, blink orb, ghost sword projectile, lighter and kilobombs
- Hundreds of unique items and powerups
- Some items can be combined, for example: ghost sword + lightning cube = lightning sword
- Hidden items, secret entrances, secret pathways, bomb-able walls
- Over 30 different achievements
- A science fiction narrative featuring a spacecutter named Songbringer, its crew, an ancient evil army, and a planet named Ekzerra
- Approximately 8-16 hours of gameplay per adventure, depending on thoroughness
- Procedurally generated overworld and dungeons
- A world contains: 1 overworld, 10 dungeons and 13 primary bosses
- Worlds are based on a six-letter seed; enter the same seed to play the same world on any platform, or enter a new seed to play something different
- World generator is hand-crafted, creating worlds based on human-designed rules, blending the best of both procedural and bespoke game design
- Multiple NPCs, some of which are rare finds
- Dynamic shadows
- Full day / night cycle
- Reflective surfaces
- Original soundtrack
- Online leaderboards highlight the top players based on completion time, percentage of map uncovered and percentage of items found
- Roguelike-inspired permadeath option which gives a higher score on the leaderboard and allows for faster runs
- Support for multiple languages including: English, Italian, Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese-Brazil, Romanian, Russian, Swedish and Traditional Chinese
Songbringer Beta Gameplay Trailer (Dec. 2016) YouTube
Songbringer Upcoming Preview by Qelric (Mar. 2017) YouTube
Engadget Songbringer Hands-on at GDC (Mar. 2017) YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Marooners Rock PAX East Best Indie Award Nominee" Boston, Massachusetts, 10 March, 2017
- "The MIX 2017 Showcase Game" San Francisco, California, 27 February, 2017
- "Indie Cup 2015 Finalist" San Francisco, California, 10 December, 2015
- "Both mind-expanding cacti and intense meditation play an integral role throughout the game."
- Ray Porreca, Destructoid
- "Horrors lurk in Songbringer's procedurally generated dungeons."
- Wes Fenlon, PC Gamer
- "Beautifully pixelated action-adventuring."
- Kellen Beck, Mashable
- "Millions of unique worlds? Zelda-style exploration, combat, and puzzling? Be still, my beating heart."
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
- "As they say, there's no such thing as a free legendary sword."
- Jeffrey Matulef, Eurogamer
- "Visually impressive world filled with exploration, puzzles, and secrets."
- Chris Pereira, Gamespot
- "Zelda goes beautifully procedural."
- Marcus Estrada, Cliqist
- "Songbringer seems to have things down perfectly."
- Kyle LeClair, Hardcore Gamer
- "I had fun blowing up and stabbing space demons, but selfishly I cannot wait to see what the community does with Songbringer."
- Tim Lanning, Geekly
- "Songbringer to have "bespoke" feeling procedural worlds"
- Ford James, Gamereactor
- "Songbringer... aims to give players everything they love about the Zelda formula with the magic of procedural generation to keep things fresh."
- Marshall Honorof, Tom's Guide
- "Songbringer has a lot of little facets that just inject personality into it constantly."
- Alex O'Neill, Irrational Passions
- "Obvious that Songbringer is much more than we expected."
- Kevin M. New, Medium.com
- "The game is badass. It oozes with style."
- Matej Jan, Retronator
- "The gameplay was almost instantly familiar."
- Mike White, TechnoBuffalo
- "...Millions of variations..."
- Christian Valentin, Pocket Gamer
- "When the search for the ultimate party goes completely wrong but ever so right."
- Julie Morley, IndieRoot
- "Already a solid-looking game."
- Ryan Lambie, Den of Geek
- "Harking back to the days of 8-bit RPGs..."
- James Batchelor, Develop
Request Press Copy
We're happy to send builds to press, shoot us an email and we'll get back to you!
Wizard Fu Games allows for the contents of Songbringer to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Songbringer is legally & explicitly allowed by Wizard Fu Games. This permission can be found in writing at http://wizardfu.com/press/sheet.php?p=songbringer.
Funded on Kickstarter kickstarter.com.
Songbringer on Steam store.steampowered.com.
To request a promo key, please use keymailer.co.
The studio bringing Songbringer to PS4 and Xbox One double11.com.
Twitch Pre Pre Show
Cable-access show hilarity with hosts Jon Carnage and Futureman. twitch.tv.
Live stream with host Danny O'Dwyer twitch.tv.
About Wizard Fu Games
Wizard Fu Games is a one-man indie game development studio based in Oakland, California. Nathanael Weiss does the programming, design, art, music and business. Wizard Fu's current game in development is Songbringer, a procedurally-generated action RPG. Plans are to release the game summer of 2017 on Steam, PS4 and Xbox One.
More information on Wizard Fu Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Design, Art, Programming, Music