Check out the new forum. You are currently viewing the old forum. It will be saved and searchable for future reference.

HomeForumGeneral DiscussionMy Game Just Launched

Author Posts
Author Posts
March 31, 2011 at 4:03 pm #433

Renegade

Hi everyone
I participated in phase 1 of the community project
but then i got too busy launching this game to help out with phase 2
My game just launched
I built it using by teffen Itterheim (i hope nat doesnt mind the plug)
I plan on building with Nat’s game kit someday too

my site
http://www.renegadecitizen.com/infinitycontrol/

itunes link
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/infinity-control/id422627169?mt=8&ls=1

March 31, 2011 at 5:08 pm #1765

stahlmanDesign

So you bought the line-drawing kit from Steffen Itterheim? I follow his blog and was curious about his products.

You game looks great. I like the 50s sci-fi feel. Very cool.

Congratulations on finishing and delivering a final product. It’s truly an achievement!

I bought your game. The sound and graphics are great.

I like the interactivity better than that of Flight Control. When you draw a connection to the mother ship it seems to stick better than in Flight Control. Great work.

I saw you didn’t do the art and sound yourself, but what matters most is that you put it all together and shipped a final product.

I read your story in the credits. That makes your achievement that much more admirable.

April 1, 2011 at 8:30 pm #1775

Nathanael Weiss

Rob. Way to GO bro! I bought your game and will take a look. Congratulations!

Can you tell us about your process of getting the artwork created? Which site did you use to find an artist? How much did it cost? (If you are comfortable sharing..)

April 1, 2011 at 11:15 pm #1779

Renegade

thanks for the support guys
this community Nat has created has been a great resource for me

Stahlman i saw ur review on the app store
thanks for the review
I plan on making an ipad app if the iphone version sells ok

so far ive only had 150 downloads but i just got featured in New+noteworthy in simulation games in the US
the sub-category features are minor but it puts it on Apple’s radar in a lot of countries
so it could lead to a bigger feature

for both the art and sound i used elance.com
because im not an artist but i wasnt going to let that stop me from making a video game
i think i over payed for art because i payed by the hour
so at first it seemed cheap 15 dollars/hour and designed the art from the hip with lots of revisions
but if i did it again i would use a fixed price and a design document so every resource is defined so the artist sticks to the fixed price
for sound by the hour worked out very well
he did it very fast and only cost $200 with a couple revisions
and it turn out very well
i just got an offer from openfient to be featured as FreeAppOfTheDay

FGOTD Pricing:
To determine your cost of participation, you’ll need to calculate both Options A & B below and pay the higher of the two amounts.

Option A) Flat fee.
-$1000 is the minimum cost to participate in FGOTD.

Option B) Revenue Share
OpenFeint shares 35% of the incremental gross revenue on your game for 21 days, after you turn your game’s price back to paid.
-Revenue share applies ONLY to the amount above the average daily base (ie. the difference before and after the FGOTD promotion).
-Average daily base is calculated by taking the average revenue for your game for the 7-day period before the FGOTD promotion.

it could be huge but it could be risky
i dont know if i’ll do it
but the fact they want to feature it is good sign

April 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm #1781

Renegade

i dont think im doing the openfeint deal
i talked to some other developers an they said its not that big of a deal
and apps make most of their money when there first released
so when sales stagnate i can aways do it
so for now im hoping to get some reviews
its only day 3 and its only had 150 downloads
but regardless how it does im proud how it turned out
and it feels good to say hey look what i made

April 5, 2011 at 3:40 am #1785

gholmes

congrats Renegade!

April 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm #1788

CyberGreg

congrats Renegade, good luck in the store and couldn’t agree more about any/all of the FREE ___ ___ ___ scams, er promotions :-)

April 5, 2011 at 10:19 pm #1791

Nathanael Weiss

Congrats again Renegade! And keep us posted about your downloads. Have you considered hiring a marketer or advertising?

We will soon be linking to all apps that were created by iPhone Game Kit customers, so rest assured, I have your link and it will soon be up on our site.

April 9, 2011 at 5:36 am #1808

speeglesphere

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speegle-sphere/id426231424?mt=8&ls=1

I completed my project and the Speegle Sphere has launched in the app store. You can try a demo at SpeegleSphere.com.
I purchase the iPhoneGameKit to learn touch input and it help me get a better understanding. The app was made using Unity3D.
Thanks to all and the iPhoneGamekit for getting me started.

SpeegleSphere

April 10, 2011 at 11:13 pm #1814

Renegade

I tried Speegle Sphere
Interesting take on the rubic cube
The controls r a little tricky though
Was unity hard to master?
Whats the royalties like for unity? Isnt there a free version and a pro version?
R u able to use cocoas2d with unity?

April 17, 2011 at 4:57 pm #1831

Renegade

I never did get a reply from @speegleshpere
I hope I didn’t offend you
I know what its like putting you heart and soul into something

I’m not getting very many downloads right now
so I’m going to make a lite version to promote the paid version
on the first day Nat said Lands of fate got 3000 downloads
@Nat did u do any promotion to get that?
I think theres an awful lot of cheepos out there
but people seem to appreciate your app a lot more if they pay for it
theres a big difference between 99 cents and free

April 19, 2011 at 9:51 pm #1834

Nathanael Weiss

Renegade, I like your plan to try a lite version. People do seem to appreciate paid apps more than free apps, but sometimes you gotta get the word out. Have you considered sending emails to bloggers and online magazines that review games? That’s another way to gain exposure.

Regarding Lands of Fate, our downloads dropped in half the next day and the next day. So we were mostly riding the newest free game wave. The promotion we did was mainly through our blog and forum. Had this been a paid app, I would definitely be seeking reviews from bloggers and investing heavily in promotion.

April 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm #1837

jcfinnerup

Congrats Renegade.
I like the style of animation, so i even from the previews i had so have it.

Just bought the game kit, and i find it to be a great alternative to all the other iPhone game tutorials out there, which focus all on objective C and no creative stuff like artwork and such.

Good luck with sales!
– jcfinnerup

May 5, 2011 at 5:02 am #1892

speeglesphere

Hello,
Sorry I didn’t reply sooner. I’ve rewriting my app’s UI to try to prepare for AR targeting. The new Ui will allow rotation in any plane. But that’s not why I’m posting.

Renegade,
Unity was very easy. I learned most of by watching YouTube. There is a free version an a 30 free trial for the pro version. To develop for ios it cost $400. I used the free version to do all my testing before I bought the ios lic.

Marketing is difficult. How do you compete with 80,000+ apps?

May 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm #1907

Nathanael Weiss

@speeglesphere: marketing can seem daunting. Treat it like a mountain, you just gotta go one step at a time. A good thing to start with is finding bloggers, reading their blogs for awhile, then emailing them asking for a review.

Perhaps something even better (especially if you feel daunted) is to post on Elance.com looking for an iPhone game publicist (as mentioned in the Kit’s publishing guide). You can probably hire someone for $10-$15/hr for a few hours per week that can make a serious dent in helping to market your game! I highly recommend testing these waters.